Online Risks and Dangers
Online Risks and Dangers from LBTS on Vimeo.
The internet and the technologies used by children can sometimes feel intimidating, especially if you are not internet savvy, use the technologies regularly yourself or don’t know anything about a particular site.
Don’t be scared! Though technology does move fast there are simple things you can do to help protect your child online. Most importantly, remember that rules you set your children in the real world can also apply in the online world. You CAN take control by following the simple rules below:
- Ask your child to show you sites they use
- Ask your child to set the security settings on all the technologies they use
- Ask your child to only accept people they know and trust in the real world as online “Friends”
- Set safe settings on your computer/laptop and set adult content filters on your child’s smart phone
- Talk to your child about their internet and messaging use and ask them to tell you if they are worried about something online
Report suspected online abuse to www.ceop.police.uk