“Treat yourself and others with respect at all times; treat people in the same way when you are online or on a device as you would face to face.”
All students sign a summary of the Acceptable Use policy which is a document that outlines how we expect you to behave when you are online, and/or using school networks, connections, internet connectivity and devices, cloud platforms and social media (both on school site and outside of school).
These rules have been written to help keep everyone safe and happy when they are online or using technology. Sometimes things go wrong and people can get upset, but these rules should help us avoid it when possible, and be fair to everybody.
School systems and users are protected and monitored by security and filtering services to provide safe access to digital technologies. This means anything you do on a school device or using school networks/platforms/internet may be viewed by one of the staff who are here to keep you safe.
If your parents/carers want to find out more, they can read our full Online Safety Policy for more detail on our approach to online safety and links to other relevant policies.
- I will treat myself and others with respect at all times; when I am online or using a device, I will treat people in the same way as I would if I were talking to them face to face.
- Whenever I use technology (a device, the internet, apps, sites and games), I will try to be positive and creative, to learn and share, to develop new skills, to have fun and prepare for the future.
- I will tell a trusted adult if I have a problem or am worried about something online, and I will encourage my friends to do so too. Statistics show that telling someone helps!
- It can be hard to stop using technology sometimes, for adults and young people. When my parents/carers or teachers talk to me about this, I will be open and honest if I am struggling.
- It is not my fault if I stumble across (or somebody sends me) something violent, sexual or otherwise worrying. But I will not share or forward it, and I will ask a trusted adult for advice.
- If I see anything that shows people hurting themselves or encourages them to do so, I will report it on the app, site or game and tell a trusted adult straight away.
- I will ensure that my online activity or use of mobile technology, in school or outside, will not cause my school, the staff, students or others distress or bring the school into disrepute.
- I will only use the school’s internet and any device I may be using in school for appropriate school activities and learning, unless I have express permission to carry out recreational activities, e.g. in a lunchtime club or after school.
- I understand that all internet and device use in school may be subject to filtering and monitoring; school-owned devices may also be subject to filtering and monitoring when used outside of school, and the same expectations apply wherever I am.
- I will keep logins, IDs and passwords secret and change my password regularly. If I think someone knows one of my passwords, I will change it; if I think they have used it, I will tell a teacher.
- I will not bring files into school or download files that can harm the school network or be used to bypass school security.
- I will only edit or delete my own files and not (even try to) view, change or delete other people’s files or user areas without their permission.
- I will use the internet, games and apps responsibly; I will not use any that are inappropriate for the school, my age or learning activities, including sites which encourage hate or discriminating against others.
- I understand that websites, blogs, videos and other online information can be biased and misleading, so I need to check sources (see fakenews.lgfl.net for support).
- I understand that bullying online or using technology is just as unacceptable as any other type of bullying, and will not use technology to bully, impersonate, harass, threaten, make fun of or upset anyone, at school or outside.
- I will not browse, download, upload, post, share or forward material that could be considered offensive, harmful or illegal. If I accidentally come across any such material I will report it immediately to my teacher.
- I am aware that some websites, games, online shopping, file sharing and social networks have age restrictions (many social media sites are 13+) and I should respect this.
- When I am at school, I will only e-mail or contact people as part of learning activities.
- The messages I send, or information I upload, will always be polite and sensible. I understand that all messages I send reflect on me and the school.
- I will be careful when opening files and attachments, checking for viruses etc. If I am unsure I will never open a file, hyperlink or any other attachment.
- I will not download copyright-protected material (text, music, video etc.).
- I will not share my or others’ personal information that can be used to identify me, my family or my friends on any online space, unless a trusted adult has given permission or reviewed the site.
- Live streaming can be fun but I always check my privacy settings and know who can see what and when. If I live stream, my parents/carers know about it.
- I will never arrange to meet someone face to face who I have only previously met in an app, site or game without telling and taking a trusted adult with me.
- I will only use my personal devices (mobile phones, USB devices etc) in school if I have been given permission to do so.
- I will respect my body and other people’s – part of that means using positive words about myself and others; it also means not revealing too much on camera and not sharing or posting photos or videos that show me or anyone else without all my/their clothes on.
- I understand that many apps have geolocation settings (identifying my location or where I made a post or took a photo). I will make sure that I know how to turn geolocation on and off, and not tell the world where I am at all times or make it too easy to find out where I live or go to school.
- I am aware that my online activity at all times should not upset or hurt other people and that I should not put myself at risk.
- If I see, watch, read, hear or receive anything I am unhappy with or I receive a message that makes me feel uncomfortable, e.g. bullying, sexual, extremist/hateful content, I will not respond to it but I will talk to a trusted adult about it.
- It is illegal to view any form of pornography if you are under 18 years old; I will not attempt to do so and will report anyone who tries to trick me into doing so.
- I know that I can always say no online and end a chat or block a friend; if I do, it’s best to talk to someone about it as well.
- I know who my trusted adults are at school, home and elsewhere, but if I know I can also get in touch with Childline, The Mix, or The Samaritans.